Zachary Shook, MD, FACP
Diplomate, American Board of Clinical Lipidology
Richmond Lipid Clinic
The Richmond Lipid Clinic is part of the primary care practice of Dr. Zachary Shook at Virginia Physicians, Inc. The goal of the Richmond Lipid Clinic is to lower your cardiovascular risk. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Lipid and lipoprotein disorders, commonly referred to as high cholesterol, contribute to the formation of arterial wall plaque, the development of which over time leads to atherosclerosis, the disease that causes heart attacks and strokes. By treating lipid disorders, as well as other medical conditions that increase your risk such as hypertension and diabetes, you can slow down and even prevent atherosclerosis, which will reduce your chances of having a heart attack or stroke.
By visiting Dr. Shook, a certified lipidologist, you will get an advanced cholesterol and lipoprotein analysis and cardiovascular risk assessment which will determine your best treatment options.
Reasons to see a lipidologist include:
1. Personal or family history of high cholesterol (including genetic disorders of cholesterol such as familial hyperlipidemia), high triglycerides, lipoprotein (a), heart disease, stroke, peripheral vascular disease, or atherosclerosis
2. Personal or family history of early heart disease, stroke, or atherosclerosis (defined as men <55 or women <65 years old)
4. Need for cholesterol and lipid lowering medications, including PCSK9-inhibitors
5. Statin intolerance
6. Having other medical problems that increase your cardiovascular risk such as hypertension, diabetes, pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis. Patients with diabetes, pre-diabetes, and inflammatory disorders are at increased cardiovascular risk and would benefit from expert lipid advice.
7. Advanced cardiometabolic risk assessment and lipid testing
8. Healthy lifestyle and dietary advice as part of lipid treatment and cardiovascular risk management
Having your standard lipid panel checked may not give you all the information needed to assess your cardiovascular risk. Click below to learn more about lipid disorders and their effects on your health.
Call the Richmond Lipid Clinic
to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shook.
Richmond Lipid Clinic is at Reynolds Primary Care, a division of Virginia Physicians, Inc.
6900 Forest Ave #300
Richmond, VA 23230